Thursday, June 14, 2007

I Love You, Dorrie



I was reading a book to my niece yesterday that was one of my very, very favourites when I was a kid called Dorrie and the Blue Witch. Now, Dorrie was a little child witch herself with mis-matched stockings and I always related to her. But I was truly shocked to discover that there were blue sparks everywhere in the illustrations, and also the omnipresent, evil association with the colour blue (my favourite colour even now), and also spells sprayed on by a perfume atomizer, all elements of which can be found in a certain film called The Viva Voce Virus. I was very insistent that there be blue sparks everywhere in the film this year, and now I know where I first saw them, which is really cool.



I always thought it was the Disney film The Sorcerer's Apprentice (which, of course, I've always loved as well).





Other realizations I've had recently are that the puddle in VVV where Ronnie throws her latte on Jesper is a direct homage to The Wizard Oz, and I suspect the double Glorias meeting up are influenced from one of my favourite time-traveling adolescent books, A Wrinkle in Time. I loved the Dorrie books, even more than the Pippi books.


(double-posted to The Viva Voce Virus blog as well)

No comments: